Spyware is a program that hides itself on your computer and watches you and your habits as you use your computer. It then reports this information to the company that created the spyware.
You might have spyware or other unwanted software on your computer if:
- You see pop-up advertisements even when you're not on the web.
- The page your Web browser first opens to (your home page) changes.
- You notice a new toolbar in your browser that you didn't want and find it difficult to remove.
- Your computer takes longer than usual to complete certain task.
- You experience a sudden rise in computer crashes.
Often spyware is invited to the computer by a user requesting free software.